Elverum (ĕlˈvərŏm) [key], town (1995 pop. 17,616), Hedmark co., SE Norway, on the Glåma River. A rail junction and an important military training center, it was badly damaged in World War II during the German invasion (1940). The Norwegian parliament held its last meeting there (Apr., 1940) before going into exile in England.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.