Ermoupolis, Hermoupolis (both: ĕrmōˈpôlĭs) [key], or Síros sēˈrôs, city (1991 pop. 13,030), capital of Cyclades prefecture, SE Greece, on the east coast of Síros island. It is the chief city of the Cyclades and a major Aegean port and commercial center. Ship repair, ironworks, tanning, and textiles are significant industries. It grew rapidly after being founded (c.1820) by refugees from Khíos and Psará islands.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ermoupolis from Fact Monster:
- Síros, island, Greece - Síros Síros or Syros, island (1991 pop. 19,870), 33 sq mi (85 sq km), SE Greece, in ...
- Cyclades - Cyclades Cyclades , Gr. Kikládhes [Gr.,=circular], island group (1991 pop. 94,005), c.1,000 ...
- Síros, city, Greece - Síros Síros, city, Greece: see Ermoupolis.
- Hermoupolis - Hermoupolis: Hermoupolis: see Ermoupolis, Greece.
- Encyclopedia: Greek Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Greek Political Geography.