Évora (ĕˈvôrə) [key], town (1991 pop. 38,938), capital of Évora dist. and of Altro Alentejo, S central Portugal. It is the commercial center of a fertile agricultural area. Cork and textiles are produced and iron, copper, and marble are mined. Called Ebora and Liberalitas Julia (after Julius Caesar) in Roman times, the temple of Diana there is an impressive ruin. Évora was an episcopal see early in the Christian era and later a center of trade under the Moors. It was recovered by the Portuguese under Gerald the Fearless (Geraldo Sem-Pavor) in 1166. After 1385 it was for many years the favorite seat of the Portuguese court. The old cathedral (12th–13th cent.) is a fine example of Romanesque style. The former Jesuit university (1559–1759) now houses a high school. It is the site of the Univ. of Évora.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Spanish and Portuguese Political Geography