Fort Beauséjour (bōsāzhōrˈ) [key], N.B., Canada, near Amherst, N.S. Built by the French between 1751 and 1755 to command Chignecto isthmus between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, it was captured (1755) by British and American troops under General Monckton and was renamed Fort Cumberland. Since 1926 it has been the site of Fort Beauséjour National Historic Park.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography