Fredericton, city (1991 pop. 46,466), provincial capital, S central N.B., Canada, on the St. John River. It is a commercial, administrative, and academic center with some light manufactures. The city was founded by United Empire Loyalists in 1783 and was made the provincial capital in 1785. Of interest are the government buildings, Christ Church Cathedral (1853), the Beaverbrook Art Gallery, and the Playhouse Theatre. The Univ. of New Brunswick (1785, Canada's first university), and St. Thomas Univ. (1910) are in the city. Nearby is a Forest Research Center for Atlantic Canada and a federal experimental farm.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.