George Town, town (1989 pop. 12,921), capital and administrative center of the Cayman Islands, in the West Indies. A major offshore banking and business center, it is the site of several hundred banks. In addition, many companies have subsidiaries there because of the substantial tax advantages. Tourism, including skin diving and duty-free shopping, is also economically important.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on George Town from Fact Monster:
- Saint George - Saint George Saint George, town (1991 pop. 1,648), on St. George's Island, Bermuda. It was the ...
- Saint George's - Saint George's Saint George's or Saint George,town (1991 pop. 4,439), capital of Grenada, ...
- Selita Ebanks - Biography of Selita Ebanks, Cayman-born model for Victoria's Secret
- Cayman Islands - Cayman Islands Cayman Islands , British dependency (2005 est. pop. 44,300), 100 sq mi (259 sq km), ...
- Cayman Islands - Information on Cayman Islands — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.