Greifswald (grĪfsˈvält) [key], city (1994 pop. 63,940), Mecklenburg–West Pomerania, N Germany, near the Baltic Sea. It is a port and rail junction and commercial center. Manufactures include machinery, textiles, and foodstuffs. The city was home to an atomic power station until 1990, when it failed to meet safety standards. At one time it delivered 10% of the former East Germany's total energy. Greifswald was chartered in 1250, and in 1648 it became part of Swedish Pomerania. In 1815 it passed to Prussia. Noteworthy buildings include the 14th-century town hall and several churches of the 13th and 14th cent. The city has a noted university (founded 1456).