Grudziądz (grōˈjôNts) [key], Ger. Graudenz, city (1993 est. pop. 103,300), Kujawsko-Pomorskie prov., N central Poland, a port on the Vistula River. Industries include lumber milling, brewing, textiles, and light manufacturing. The city is also a railway junction. Founded and fortified by the Teutonic Knights, it was chartered in 1233. Grudziądz passed to Poland in 1466 and to Prussia in 1772; it was restored to Poland in 1919. Notable buildings include a Gothic church and an 18th-century Jesuit collegium.