Hammerfest (häˈmərfĕst) [key], town (1995 pop. 9,561), Finnmark co., N Norway, on Kvaløy island. It is the northernmost town of Europe, but its harbor is always ice-free. Tourists are attracted by its uninterrupted daylight from May 17 to July 29. There are fish-processing plants. Chartered c.1795, Hammerfest was heavily damaged by British naval bombardment in 1809, by fire in 1890, and by retreating German forces in 1944.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Hammerfest from Fact Monster:
- Finnmark - Finnmark Finnmark , county (1995 pop. 76,668), 18,783 sq mi (46,648 sq km), N Norway, bordering on ...
- Norway: Land and People - Land and People The coastline, c.1,700 mi (2,740 km) long, is fringed with islands (notably the ...
- Norway - Information on Norway — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Encyclopedia: Scandinavian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Scandinavian Political Geography.
- Latitude and Longitude of World Cities - Latitude and Longitude of World Cities (and time corresponding to 12:00 noon, Eastern Standard ...