Hasa, Al (äl häˈsä, hăˈsə) [key], region, E Saudi Arabia, on the Persian Gulf. Administrated as the Eastern Province, Hofuf is the chief town. Dates, wheat, and rice are produced. It was taken from the Turks in 1914 by Ibn Saud. The discovery of large oil reserves in the 1930s transformed the region and is Saudi Arabia's chief oil-producing area.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Al Hasa from Fact Monster:
- Nejd - Nejd Nejd or Najd, region, central Saudi Arabia. Riyadh, the country's capital and major city, ...
- Saudi Arabia: Land - Land The south and southeast of the country are occupied entirely by the great Rub al-Khali desert. ...
- Saudi Arabia: History - History Origins of Saudi Arabia As a political unit, Saudi Arabia is of relatively recent creation. ...
- Qatar - Qatar Profile: People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Defense, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Qatari Relations
- Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia Profile: People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Saudi Arabian Relations