Havering (hāˈvərĭng) [key], outer borough (1991 pop. 117,400) of Greater London, SE England. The borough is largely residential and has expanded greatly with the creation of electrified suburban railways and added housing. There is a local engineering industry along with the manufacture of plastics, chemicals, clothing, and beer. A market has been held in Romford, within the borough, since 1247. Until 1892, Romford was the capital of Havering-atte-Bower, a group of parishes united since the time of Edward the Confessor.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Havering from Fact Monster:
- Romford - Romford: Romford: see Havering.
- David O. Selznick - Selznick, David O. Selznick, David O., 1902–65, American film producer, b. Pittsburgh. He ...
- London, city, England - London London, capital of Great Britain, SE England, on both sides of the Thames River. Greater ...
- British Open Champions: winners since 1920 - Find the winners of the British Open golf tournament from 1920 to the present
- A Star Is Born (1954) - Starring Judy Garland, James Mason, Jack Carson, Charles Bickford, Tommy Noonan