Hawick (hôˈîk) [key], town (1991 pop. 16,213), Scottish Borders, S Scotland, on the Teviot River. The largest Scottish town on the English border, Hawick is famous for its woolens and tweeds. Besides the manufacture of knitwear, Hawick's industries include dye works and light engineering plants. It also serves as a market and commercial center for remote farm areas. The house of the barons of Drumlanrig was the only building not burned by the English during a border raid in 1570. St. Mary's Church (1763) stands on the site of a 7th-century Celtic church.