Herstal (hĕrˈstäl) [key], Fr. Héristal, commune (1991 pop. 36,451), Liège prov., E Belgium, on the Meuse River, an industrial suburb of Liège. Herstal is the center of Belgium's armaments industry. Other manufactures include motor vehicles, aircraft engines, and electrical equipment. The city was once the residence of the early Carolingian mayors of the palace, including Pepin II, who was born there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Herstal from Fact Monster:
- Liège, province, Belgium - Liège Liège , Du. Luik, Ger. Lüttich, province (1991 pop. 999,646), 1,526 sq mi ...
- Charles Martel - Biography of Charles Martel, The Frankish ruler who defeated the Muslims in 732
- Héristal - Héristal: Héristal: see Herstal, Belgium.
- Liège, city, Belgium - Liège Liège, Du. Luik, Ger. Lüttich, city (1991 pop. 194,596), capital of ...
- Charlemagne - Biography of Charlemagne, Frankish king and Holy Roman Emperor