Innwa or Inwa, formerly Ava (äˈvə) [key], village, central Myanmar, on the Ayeyarwady River, 10 mi (16 km) S of Mandalay. Founded in 1364, it was the capital of a dynasty of Burmese kings until 1783 (when it was replaced by Amarapura) and again from 1823 to 1837. The ruins of its former great palace and walls remain.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.