Jervis Bay (järˈvĭs) [key], territory (2001 pop. 611), 29 sq mi (75.5 sq km), SE Australia, bordering Jervis Bay, a sheltered inlet of the Pacific Ocean, 10 mi (16.1 km) long and 6 mi (9.7 km) wide. In 1915 the harbor and part of the coast were transferred to the federal government by New South Wales. Jervis Bay, connected by rail with Canberra, 85 mi (137 km) inland, was intended to become the port of the landlocked Australian Capital Territory. When the territory gained self-government in 1988, Jervis Bay was separated and remained a territory under the administration of the federal government. The area around the bay is a popular summer resort.