Johnstone (jŏnˈstən) [key], town (1991 pop. 42,731), Renfrewshire, W Scotland. Industries include flax and cotton mills in addition to engineering works. Chemicals, machine tools, and shoelaces are also manufactured.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Johnstone from Fact Monster:
- Johnston Atoll - Information on Johnston Atoll — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Gabriel Johnston - Johnston, Gabriel Johnston, Gabriel, 1699–1752, colonial governor of North Carolina ...
- Mary Johnston - Johnston, Mary Johnston, Mary, 1870–1936, American novelist, b. Buchanan, Va. Her books ...
- Sir Harry Hamilton Johnston - Johnston, Sir Harry Hamilton Johnston, Sir Harry Hamilton, 1858–1927, British explorer and ...
- Richard Malcolm Johnston - Johnston, Richard Malcolm Johnston, Richard Malcolm, 1822–98, American author, b. Hancock ...