Kalocsa (kŏˈlôchŏ) [key], town (1991 est. pop. 18,200), S Hungary, near the Danube River. It is an agricultural center and is famed for its embroidery and paprika. Created a bishopric by St. Stephen, it became the seat of an archbishop in 1260. The town has a Roman Catholic academy, a cathedral, and an archiepiscopal palace (built in 1786).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.