Karamay or Karamai (both: kärämĪˈ) [key], city (1994 est. pop. 212,600), N Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, China, in the Dzungarian basin. Since the discovery (1955) there of one of the largest oil fields in China, it has grown into an oil-producing and refining center.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Karamay from Fact Monster:
- Karamai - Karamai: Karamai: see Karamay, China.
- Wusu - Wusu Wusu , town and oasis, N Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, China, in the Dzungarian basin. It ...
- Ürümqi - Ürümqi Ürümqi or Urumchi, city (1994 est. pop. 1,130,300), capital of Xinjiang ...
- Xinjiang: Economy - Economy In the most populated areas cotton and silk (both locally spun and woven) are produced and ...
- Encyclopedia: Chinese and Mongolian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Chinese and Mongolian Political Geography.