Kerulen (kĕrˈōlĕn) [key] or Herelen hĕrˈəlĕn, river, 785 mi (1,263 km) long, E Republic of Mongolia, rising in the Kentei Mts., NE of Ulaanbaatar, and flowing S, then E to Kulun Lake, Heilongjiang prov., NE China. A road from Ulaanbaatar to Choybalsan, a railhead linked to the Trans-Siberian RR, follows the river.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kerulen from Fact Monster:
- Mongolia, region, Asia - Mongolia Mongolia , Asian region (c.906,000 sq mi/2,346,540 sq km), bordered roughly by Xinjiang ...
- Herelen - Herelen: Herelen: see Kerulen, China.
- Gobi - Gobi Gobi , Mandarin Yintai shamo, great stony desert of N central Asia, c.500,000 sq mi (1,295,000 ...
- Mongolia, country, Asia: Land and People - Land and People A high country, Mongolia has an average elevation exceeding 5,100 ft (1,554 m); the ...
- Mongolia, country, Asia: Economy - Economy The paucity of snow in Mongolia permits year-round grazing, and nomadic herding has been ...