Khalkís (khälkēsˈ) [key] or Chalcis kălˈsĭs, city (1991 pop. 51,646), capital of Évvoia (Euboea) prefecture, E Greece, on the island of Évvoia. Connected to the mainland by a bridge, the city is a trade center for local products, including wine, cotton, and citrus fruits. It is a popular resort with cement and other manufactures. The chief city of ancient Euboea, Khalkís was settled by the Ionians and early became a commercial and colonizing center. It established (8th–7th cent. B.C.) colonies on Khalkidhikí and in Sicily. The city was subdued by Athens (c.506 B.C.) and led the revolt of Euboea against Athens in 446 B.C. Again defeated, it came under Athenian rule until 411 B.C. In 338 B.C. it passed to Macedonia. Aristotle died there (322 B.C.). In succeeding centuries the city was used as a base for invading Greece. In the Middle Ages it was named Negropont by the Venetians, who occupied it in 1209. It passed to the Ottoman Turks in 1470 and in 1830 became part of Greece. A diamond-shaped Venetian citadel is there.