Kholmogory (khŭlˌməgôˈrē) [key], village, NW European Russia, SE of Arkhangelsk and at the mouth of the Northern Dvina River. Known since 1355, Kholmogory was a major trade center for Novgorod merchants in the 15th and 16th cent. and became a shipping and cattle raising center in the 18th cent. Its significance declined with the rise of Arkhangelsk.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kholmogory from Fact Monster:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: CIS and Baltic Political Geography