Kinsale (kĭnsālˈ) [key], town (1991 pop. 1,759), Co. Cork, S Republic of Ireland, on the Bandon River estuary. It is a fishing port and seaside resort. Manufactures include sheet steel, electrical components, and yacht equipment. Kinsale was an Anglo-Norman settlement. In 1601, Kinsale was held for 10 weeks by a Spanish force. Charles Fort, built in 1677, was sieged several times and burned by Irish nationalists in 1922. James II landed at Kinsale in 1689. The town surrendered to the English under the duke of Marlborough in 1690. St. Multose Church dates from the 12th cent.