Kisumu (kēsōˈmō) [key], city (1989 est. pop. 185,100), capital of Nyanza prov., SW Kenya, on Kavirondo Gulf (an arm of Lake Victoria). It is the principal lake port of Kenya, its third largest city, and the commercial center of a prosperous farm region. Manufactures include refined sugar, frozen fish, textiles, beer, and processed sisal. An ethanol plant was built in the 1980s. The city is developing a tourist industry with the attractions of Lake Victoria and nearby wildlife. The railroad from Mombasa reached Kisumu in 1901. The city was formerly called Port Florence.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kisumu from Fact Monster:
- Lake Victoria - Victoria, Lake Victoria, Lake, or Victoria Nyanza, largest lake of Africa and the world's ...
- Kenya: Land and People - Land and People The country, which lies astride the equator, consists of several geographical ...
- Encyclopedia: Kenyan Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Kenyan Political Geography.
- Kenya - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Kenya and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Kenya — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Kenya: History - History Early History to Independence During the 1950s and 60s, the anthropologist L. S. B. Leakey ...