Komárno (kôˈmärnô) [key] or Komárom kôˈmärôm, Ger. Komorn, city of Slovakia and Hungary, on both sides of the Danube, at its confluence with the Nitra and Váh rivers. Komárno (1991 pop. 37,346) is located on the left bank and belongs to Slovakia. It is a transport center and has machinery and textile plants. Hungarian Komárom (1991 est. pop. 19,552), on the right bank, has lumber yards, sawmills, and textile plants. Both parts of the city have port facilities. The site of Komárno was fortified by the Romans. It became a free city in 1331. Later a part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, it was partitioned in 1920 between Hungary and Czechoslovakia.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.