Larvik (lärˈvēk) [key], city (1995 pop. 39,011), Vestfold co., SE Norway, at the head of the Larviksfjord (an arm of the Skagerrak); chartered 1671. It is a shipping and whaling center. Tanum Church, a medieval stone structure, is nearby.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Larvik from Fact Monster:
- Vestfold - Vestfold Vestfold , county (1995 pop. 203,231), c.900 sq mi (2,330 sq km), SE Norway, bordering on ...
- Thor Heyerdahl - Biography of Thor Heyerdahl, Leader of the Kon-Tiki and Ra Expeditions
- Thor Heyerdahl - Heyerdahl, Thor Heyerdahl, Thor , 1914–2002, Norwegian explorer and anthropologist, b. ...
- Norway - Information on Norway — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Encyclopedia: Scandinavian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Scandinavian Political Geography.