Loyalty Islands, coral group (1989 pop. 17,900), S Pacific, a part of the French overseas territory of New Caledonia. The group comprises three islands (Lifou, Maré, and Ouvéa) and many islets and has a total land area of c.800 sq mi (2,070 sq km). The chief exports are coconuts and copra.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Loyalty Islands from Fact Monster:
- Major Earthquakes around the World, 2008 - Summary of the largest earthquakes in 2007.
- Major Earthquakes around the World, 2003 - Major Earthquakes around the World, 2003 Date Location Magnitude1 Jan. 20 Solomon Islands 7.3 Jan. ...
- Major Earthquakes around the World, 2004 - Major Earthquakes around the World, 2004 Date Location Magnitude1 Jan. 3 Southeast of the Loyalty ...
- New Caledonia - New Caledonia New Caledonia, Fr. Nouvelle Calédonie, officially Territory of New Caledonia ...
- New Caledonia and Dependencies - Information on New Caledonia and Dependencies — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.