Lund (lŭnd) [key], city (1990 pop. 62,910), Malmöhus co., S Sweden. It is a commercial and industrial center and a rail junction. Manufactures include paper, packaging, printed materials, and clothing. Mentioned (c.920) in the sagas as Lunda, it became the Roman Catholic archiepiscopal see for Scandinavia in 1103–4 and subsequently flourished as an ecclesiastical and trade center. The city declined after it became (1536) a Lutheran bishopric, and it was devastated during the Danish-Swedish wars of the 17th cent. It passed definitively to Sweden in 1658 with Skåne prov. In 1668 Charles XI dedicated the Univ. of Lund, where the poet Esaias Tegner (1782–1846) later taught. The theological faculty of the university was well known in the 19th cent. The city is also the site of a technical university. Lund has a fine 11th-century Romanesque cathedral and a museum of folk customs.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.