Lutsk (lŏtsk) [key] Pol. Łuck, city (1989 pop. 198,000), capital of Volyn region (see Volhynia), Ukraine, a port on the Styr River. Its industries produce scientific instruments, food products, and textiles. First mentioned in 1085 as Luchesk, it is one of the oldest cities of Volhynia. It was the main fortress of the Luchan tribe and was called Luchesky Veliki. Lutsk, together with all of Volhynia, was part of Kievan Rus until 1154, when it became the capital of the Lutsk independent principality. It was included in the Halych-Volhynian principality, was taken by Lithuania in the 14th cent., and was an important trade city from the 14th to the 16th cent. Lutsk was part of Poland from the second half of the 16th cent., was taken (1791) by Russia, was Polish again (1919–39), and was ceded (1939) to the Ukrainian SSR (since 1991, Ukraine). Architectural monuments include the walls and turrets of a castle (13th–16th cent.) and several churches (14th–17th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.