Lyakhov Islands (lyäˈkhəf) [key], c.2,700 sq mi (7,000 sq km), southern group of the New Siberian Islands, N Siberian Russia, between the Laptev Sea and the East Siberian Sea, Sakha Republic. They include Bolshoy Lyakhov, Maly Lyakhov, and Stolbovoy islands and are separated from the Anjou group of the New Siberian Islands by Sannikov Strait and from the mainland by Dmitri Laptev Strait. They were discovered (1770) by Ivan Lyakhov, a Russian merchant. In 1928 the Soviet government established a geophysical station there.
More on Lyakhov Islands from Fact Monster:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Arctic Physical Geography