Mâcon (mäkôNˈ) [key], town (1990 pop. 38,503), capital of Saône-et-Loire dept., E central France, in Burgundy, on the Saône River. It is famous for its quality wines. A transportation center, the town also has foundries and plants that manufacture motorcycles, electrical equipment, and clothing. Mâcon was acquired by the French crown in 1238, passed to Burgundy by the Treaty of Arras (1435), and was recovered by France in 1477. In the 16th cent. it was a Huguenot stronghold. Lamartine was born there.