Manado (mänäˈdō) [key] or Menado mānäˈdō, town (1990 pop. 318,406), capital of Sulawesi Utara prov., on the northeast coast of Sulawesi, Indonesia. It is a trade center and seaport on an inlet of the Celebes Sea; exports include copra, coffee, spices, sugarcane, and lumber. In Manado is the Univ. of North and Central Sulawesi, as well as an extension facility of the Islamic Univ. of Indonesia.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Manado from Fact Monster:
- Sulawesi - Sulawesi Sulawesi , formerly Celebes, island (1990 pop. 12,511,163), c.73,000 sq mi (189,070 sq ...
- Menado - Menado: Menado: see Manado, Indonesia.
- Encyclopedia: Indonesian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Indonesian Political Geography.
- 2007 Disasters - 2007 Disasters January 2007 Disasters Jan. 1, Indonesia: Adam Air Flight KI-574, flying from Java ...
- Aircraft Crashes - Aircraft Crashes (See also Terrorist Attacks.) 1921 Aug. 24, England: British dirigible AR-2 broke ...