Manamah, Al (äl mänämˈä) [key], town (1991 pop. 127,578), capital, commercial center, and largest city of Bahrain, on the Persian Gulf. It has oil refineries and light industries and is a free port. The National Museum and a Qur'an museum are in the town, and the command of the U.S. Fifth Fleet is based there. A causeway links the town with the island of Al Muharraq.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Al Manamah from Fact Monster:
- Bahrain - Information on Bahrain — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Bahrain - Bahrain Bahrain or Bahrein, officially Kingdom of Bahrain, constitutional monarchy and archipelago ...
- Arabia - Arabia Arabia , peninsula (1991 est. pop. 35,000,000), c.1,000,000 sq mi (2,590,000 sq km), SW ...
- Area and Population of Countries - Area and Population of Countries (mid-2006 estimates) Country Capital Area (in sq mi) Population ...
- World Capitals - World Capitals Afghanistan Kabul, 2,206,300 Albania Tirana, 353,400 Algeria Algiers, 3,917,000 ...