Melekeok, town (est. pop. 261), the capital of the Pacific island nation of Palau, located on the E coast of Babeldaob, Palau's largest island. Melekeok is the site of a modern complex of government buildings, completed in 2006. The capital was moved there from Oreor in 2006.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Melekeok from Fact Monster:
- Babeldaob - Babeldaob Babeldaob or Babelthuap,volcanic island, 143 sq mi (370 sq km), largest island of Palau, ...
- Oreor - Oreor Oreor or Koror, volcanic island (c.3 sq mi/7.8 sq km; 1990 pop. 10,501), Palau, in the W ...
- Palau - Palau Palau , officially Republic of Palau, independent nation (2005 est. pop. 20,300), c.192 sq mi ...
- Palau - Information on Palau — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Palau - Palau Profile: Geography and People, History, Government, Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations