Micronesia (mĪkrōnēˈzhə, –shə) [key], one of the three main divisions of Oceania, in W Pacific Ocean, north of the equator. Micronesia includes the Caroline Islands, Marshall Islands, Mariana Islands (see Northern Mariana Islands and Guam, Gilbert Islands, and Nauru. The inhabitants are of Australoid and Polynesian stock. They speak Malayo-Polynesian languages.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Micronesia from Fact Monster:
- Micronesia - Information on Micronesia — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Micronesia - Map of Micronesia & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Micronesia - World—Country Profiles U.S. Department of State Background Note Micronesia Women play ...
- Federated States of Micronesia - Micronesia, Federated States of Micronesia, Federated States of, independent nation (2005 est. pop. ...
- Oceanic art: Micronesia - Micronesia In comparison to Melanesian arts, the objects produced by the Micronesians are ...