Moroni (mōrōˈnē) [key], town (1990 pop. 23,432), capital of Comoros, on Njazidja (formerly Grande Comore) island, at the northern end of the Mozambique Channel, an arm of the Indian Ocean. Moroni is the largest city, main port, and administrative center of the islands. Manufactures include beverages, wood and metal products, cement, soap, plastic products, and lumber. Exports include vanilla, coffee, and cacao. It is the site of Iconi Airport and the Palais du Peuple cultural center. Hahaya International Airport is nearby.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Moroni from Fact Monster:
- Giovanni Battista Moroni - Moroni, Giovanni Battista Moroni, Giovanni Battista , c.1525–1578, Italian portrait painter ...
- Comoros - Information on Comoros — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- the Comoros - Comoros, the Comoros, the , officially Union of the Comoros (2005 est. pop. 671,000), 838 sq mi ...
- Il Moretto - Moretto, Il Moretto, Il , c.1498–1554, Italian painter, whose real name was Alessandro ...
- Brescia - Brescia Brescia , city (1991 pop. 194,502), capital of Brescia prov., Lombardy, N Italy. It is a ...