Nippon (nĭpˈŏn, nĭpŏnˈ) [key], name for Japan, derived from Dai Nippon, meaning Great Japan. The expression comes from the Chinese ideograph for the place where the sun comes from, or Land of the Rising Sun. The term Nipponism has come to imply an extreme Japanese nationalism.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Nippon from Fact Monster:
- What Countries Call Themselves - What Countries Call Themselves Most of our maps and encyclopedias list the English names for the ...
- Japan - Japan Japan , Jap. Nihon or Nippon, country (2005 est. pop. 127,417,000), 145,833 sq mi (377,835 sq ...
- Philipp Franz van Siebold - Siebold, Philipp Franz van Siebold, Philipp Franz van , 1796–1866, German naturalist and ...
- Izabel Goulart - Biography of Izabel Goulart, Brazilian model from the Victoria's Secret TV show
- Thomas Noguchi - Biography of Thomas Noguchi, The "Coroner to the Stars"