Palmer Land, part of the Antarctic Peninsula, W Antarctica. Named by Americans after Nathaniel Palmer, who explored the area in 1820, Palmer Land (or Palmer Peninsula) referred to the entire Antarctic Peninsula. Palmer Land also refers to the portion of the peninsula surrounding Graham Land to the north, west, and south.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.