Parakou (pârˌəkōˈ) [key], town (1992 pop. 103,577), central Benin. It is the trade center for a cotton, grain, and livestock-raising area. Located at the head of the railroad from Cotonou, it is the distribution center for N Benin and Niger. Parakou has an airstrip and a textile research center.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Parakou from Fact Monster:
- Benin, country, Africa - Benin Benin , officially Republic of Benin, republic (2005 est. pop. 7,460,000), 43,483 sq mi ...
- Encyclopedia: Benin Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Benin Political Geography.
- Benin - Information on Benin — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Benin, country, Africa: History - History Early History Little is known about the history of N Benin. In the south, according to oral ...
- Benin - Benin Profile: Geography, People, History, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Beninese Relations