Pohnpei (pōnˈpā) [key], state and island (1991 est. pop. 52,000), 129 sq mi (334 sq km), W Pacific, in the E Caroline Islands. It is one of four states comprising the Federated States of Micronesia. A volcanic island, Pohnpei is a flat dome of black basaltic rock, rising to 2,595 ft (791 m), with a rim of fertile coastal land. The national capital, Palikir, is in NW Pohnpei. Copra, dried bonito, and handicrafts are the chief products. Ruins of ancient stone walls, dikes, and basaltic columns dot the island. Pohnpei was formerly called Ponape and Ascension Island.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Pohnpei from Fact Monster:
- Ponape - Ponape: Ponape: see Pohnpei.
- Ascension Island - Ascension Island Ascension Island, Caroline Islands: see Pohnpei.
- Federated States of Micronesia - Micronesia, Federated States of Micronesia, Federated States of, independent nation (2005 est. pop. ...
- Micronesia - Information on Micronesia — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Caroline Islands - Caroline Islands Caroline Islands, archipelago, c.830 sq mi (2,150 sq km), W Pacific, just north of ...