Porkkala (pôrkˈkälä) [key], small, strategic peninsula, Southern Finland prov., in the Gulf of Finland, near Helsinki. Under the Soviet-Finnish armistice of 1944, Finland leased this area to the USSR for 50 years, for use as a naval base. The USSR returned it to Finland in 1956.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Porkkala from Fact Monster:
- Hanko - Hanko Hanko or Hangö, city (1996 pop. 10,623), Southern Finland prov., SW Finland, at the tip ...
- Finland: History - History Early History to Independence Finland's first inhabitants, dating from about 7000 B.C., ...
- Encyclopedia: Scandinavian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Scandinavian Political Geography.
- Union of Soviet Socialist Republics: The Khrushchev Era - The Khrushchev Era The death of Stalin on Mar. 5, 1953, ushered in a new era in Soviet history. ...
- Finland - Finland Profile: Historical Highlights, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Finland Relations