Port Moresby (môrzˈbē) [key], town (1990 pop. 193,242), capital of Papua New Guinea, on New Guinea island and on the Gulf of Papua. Rubber, gold, and copra are exported. Port Moresby was founded by Capt. John Moresby, who landed there in 1873. The British occupied it in 1883. During World War II the chief Allied base on New Guinea was there. A new capital is being built in suburban Waigani.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Port Moresby from Fact Monster:
- Papua New Guinea - Information on Papua New Guinea — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Papua New Guinea - Papua New Guinea Papua New Guinea , officially Independent State of Papua New Guinea, independent ...
- AUSTRALASIA AND OCEANIA - The sparsely populated continent of Australasia is made up of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and several nearby islands. It is the world’s
- Solomon Islands - Solomon Islands Profile: Geography, People, History, Government, Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Solomon Islands Relations
- Papua New Guinea - Papua New Guinea Profile: People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Papua New Guinea Relations