Port Vila (pôr vēläˈ) [key] or Vila, town (2009 pop. 45,694), capital and largest town of the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu. On the SW coast of Efate island, it is a deep-sea port built around a natural harbor at Pontoon Bay. The commercial center of Vanatu, Port Vila has agricultural and fishing industries and is a tourist hub with hotels, resorts, and other facilities. There also is an offshore financial industry. Settled by the French in the 19th cent. and later controlled by the British, it was an American base during World War II.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Port Vila from Fact Monster:
- Vanuatu - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Vanuatu and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Vanuatu — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Vanuatu - Vanuatu Vanuatu , formerly New Hebrides, officially Republic of Vanuatu, independent republic (2005 ...
- AUSTRALASIA AND OCEANIA - The sparsely populated continent of Australasia is made up of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and several nearby islands. It is the world’s
- Vanuatu - Vanuatu Profile: Geography, People, History, Government, Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Vanuatu Relations
- World Capitals - World Capitals Afghanistan Kabul, 2,206,300 Albania Tirana, 353,400 Algeria Algiers, 3,917,000 ...