Poti (pôˈtyē) [key], city (1989 pop. 50,922), W Georgia, on the Black Sea at the mouth of the Rion River. It is a port that ships manganese (from Chiatura), corn, lumber, and wine. The region around Poti is the swampy Colchis lowland. The city was known as Phasis in the 5th cent. B.C., when it was a Greek colony. It later became a Turkish fortress and was taken by the Russians in 1828.