Prince George, city (1991 pop. 69,653), central British Columbia, Canada, at the confluence of the Fraser and Nechako rivers. It is a railroad division point and a distribution center for a lumber region. There are sawmills, pulp mills, chemical plants, and an oil refinery. In 1807, Simon Fraser of the North West Company established on the site the fur-trading post of Fort George, which was taken over (1821) by the Hudson's Bay Company. Settlement began c.1910 with the building of a railroad via Fort George to Prince Rupert, and in 1915 the city was incorporated and the name was changed.