Racibórz (rätsēˈbōsh) [key], Ger. Ratibor, town (1994 est. pop. 65,300), Śląskie prov., S Poland, on the Oder River. A river port and rail junction, it also has industries producing electrical equipment, chemicals, wood products, and foodstuffs. Chartered in 1217, it became (1288) the capital of a free imperial principality. It passed with Silesia to the house of Hapsburg in 1526 and to Prussia in 1745. It was (1822–1918) the capital of the principality, after 1840 the duchy, of Ratibor. It was heavily damaged in World War II and was incorporated into Poland in 1945.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.