Rybnik (rĭbˈnēk) [key], town (1993 est. pop. 145,400), Śląskie prov., S Poland. It is a railway junction and industrial center with industries manufacturing mining machinery, metal products, and chemicals. There are metal works and coal mines nearby. Originally a fish hatchery (established c.1100) noted for its carp, it was chartered in the 14th cent. Rybnik passed from Germany to Poland in 1921. The town has a feudal castle and an 18th-century city hall.