Saint David's, Welsh Tyddewi, small town, Pembrokeshire, SW Wales. The renowned town cathedral is mainly Transitional Norman in style, built of red-violet stone. Among its features is the late 13th-century shrine of St. David, the patron saint of Wales. The cathedral, after numerous additions and alterations, was restored by George Gilbert Scott in 1878. Across the Alun brook, which flows past the cathedral, are the imposing ruins of the Bishop's Palace (14th cent.). St. David's (ancient Menevia) was for centuries one of the most important places of pilgrimage in Great Britain; it is the focal point of several old roads. Saint David's Head, 2.5 mi (4.2 km) northwest of the village, is the westernmost point of Wales.