Saint Helens, city (1991 pop. 114,397) and metropolitan borough, NW England, in the Greater Liverpool metropolitan area. It is a major center of glass manufacture in England. The city also has iron and brass foundries, chemical and soap factories, and potteries. Coal mining, although declining, is still carried on. Saint Helens has a college of technology.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Saint Helens from Fact Monster:
- Mount Saint Helens - Dormant since 1857, Mount St. Helens erupted on May 18, 1980 in one of the largest volcanic explosions in North American history.
- Mount Saint Helens - Mount Saint Helens: Mount Saint Helens: see Saint Helens, Mount.
- Mount Saint Helens - Saint Helens, Mount Saint Helens, Mount, volcanic peak, 8,363 ft (2,549 m; 9,677 ft/2,950 m before ...
- Las Cases, Emmanuel, comte de - Las Cases, Emmanuel, comte de Las Cases, Emmanuel, comte de , 1766–1842, French historian. He ...
- More Features - Recent Features Cool Stuff | Math | People | Science | Sports | United States | Word Wise | World ...