Saint Jean (săN zhäN) [key], city (1991 pop. 37,607), S Que., Canada, on the Richelieu River, SE of Montreal. It is an industrial center with textile and hosiery mills and manufactures such as sewing machines, bricks, and wood products. A fort was built on the site in the 17th cent. A later post, Fort St. Jean, changed hands several times during the American Revolution. The city was the terminus of the first Canadian railroad (1836) from Laprairie. It is the seat of a bilingual military school, the Collège Militaire Royal de Saint Jean.