Sainte Anne de Beaupré
Sainte Anne de Beaupré (săNtănˈ də bōprāˈ, Fr. săNtănˈdə bōprāˈ) [key], village (1991 pop. 3,146), S Que., Canada, on the St. Lawrence River and NE of Quebec. It is the site of a famous shrine established in 1620 by sailors who had been shipwrecked. A chapel was built in 1658 and a large church in 1876. Burned in 1922, the church was magnificently rebuilt; it houses relics and is one of Canada's foremost pilgrim resorts. Many miraculous cures are ascribed to prayers at the shrine. Mountains, a river, and falls near the village are also named for the saint.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography